Painless Freelance Payments is a 6-module, 15-lesson video course where you’ll learn how to work with trustworthy clients, clearly communicate your rates, and receive payment in a fuss-free, stress-free manner.
The goal of all this? So that you get paid what you’re owed for all your hard work—which is key if you want to be in the freelance biz for the long term!
Here’s what you’ll learn in each module of Painless Freelance Payments:
Module 1: Assessing your client’s trustworthiness
Most clients are honest people, but there are also the clients who deliberately abuse freelancers’ trust to get work done for free.
Learn how to find out who these bad apples are so you can steer way clear of them.
- Lesson 1: Conducting client background checks
- Lesson 2: Testing your client’s reliability
Module 2: Stating your payment terms in a contract
“Make sure you have a contract!” That’s a common answer you’ll hear when it comes to ways to prevent payment disputes. But what exactly is a contract, and what should go into one?
This module covers these legal issues—with none of the complicated legal jargon.
- Lesson 1: A contract isn’t a document that says “CONTRACT”
- Lesson 2: Essential payment terms your contract must have
- Lesson 3: Signature not required: getting your client to agree to your contract
Module 3: Sticking to your terms
You’ve prepared the terms that you want clients to follow when working with you. The next question is: will your client be willing to play by your rules?
Find out what you can do if your client has their own terms that they want you to follow instead, and situations where you may want to give your clients “better treatment” instead of strictly sticking to your terms.
- Lesson 1: The client wants you to use their payment terms. What now?
- Lesson 2: Bending your own rules for particular clients
Module 4: Invoicing 101
Want to get paid? Then you’ll need to submit an invoice.
This module covers the essential information that an invoice needs to contain, how to effortlessly prepare invoices and how to check whether your client has viewed your invoice (even if they haven’t responded to your emails).
- Lesson 1: What to include in your invoice so you get paid
- Lesson 2: Invoice preparation made easy
- Lesson 3: Has your invoice been ignored? How to check
Module 5: Getting paid by overseas clients
Apart from working with local clients, working with overseas clients can significantly widen your client base and increase your freelance income. That said, collecting payment from overseas clients can be more tricky.
This module will help you navigate the relevant issues and decide on the best way of receiving foreign currency payments for your business.
- Lesson 1: Getting paid in foreign currency: what are the issues?
- Lesson 2: Common ways of getting paid in foreign currency (and their pros and cons)
Module 6: Dealing with late and non-payment
Despite your best efforts, some clients may still end up missing your invoice deadlines—or show no signs of paying you at all. Do you know the actions you can take to try and get the payment you’re owed?
Discover what these are in this module (and whether they are worth pursuing in your situation).
- Lesson 1: Is pursuing the matter worth it?
- Lesson 2: How to chase for payment without being annoying about it
- Lesson 3: Suing for payment: a step-by-step guide
Painless Freelance Payments is for you if: